Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Real Hip Hooray: Rainbows `n' Ruffles


My big girl, Mia, turned 6 on Monday. So we held a little un-party to celebrate.

Mia is a constant whirlwind of colour - from what she chooses to wear to the art she creates and everything in between, there is simply no place for black in her world. As a Mum not particularly fond of the rock chick look for my little girls this is a passion I am quite happy to nurture. So when these gorgeous invitations were launched last year, Mia was quite besotted with them and announced there and then that her next party would be a Rainbow Party. I liked the idea too - not too young, not too grown-up and simply a perfect fit for my unashamedly girlie girl.

Mia is a creative type and always has big ideas (not sure where she gets that from!). In the moments when she was dreaming up the decorations, carefully selecting the guests, and poring over the Womens Weekly Kids Cake Book to find the perfect cake we, of course, didn't have the heart to tell her an elaborate party might not be coming her way this year.

Over time I eased her into the concept of `less is more' and in doing so realised, that despite her having a strong creative vision of her own, my definition and Mia's definition of `elaborate' were two different things. It seemed she would ultimately be happy with some candles to blow out on a cake - oh and the dancing she had written playlists for and carefully choreographed. I simply could not deny her the sheer joy of celebrating with a few friends on her special day. So we pitched it to Daddy as a `playdate' and I set myself the challenge of creating a special afternoon that didn't leave us poor or frazzled.

Lucky for me, Rainbows went through a little popularity surge in blogland recently and the planning was made easy - first I spotted this cake, then this inspiration board, and a cute downloadable colouring sheet. I love it when a plan comes together!

So Mia celebrated being 6 amidst a cascade of gorgeous colour - fun rainbow ruffles, umbrellas, yellow gumboots, ribbon wands, a surprising cake and a sugar rush of rainbow-inspired treats.




Mia had been understandably sceptical about a white cake at a Rainbow party and I had deliberately not given too much away about what was on the inside - there were nerves cutting this one, but she was full of giggles and excitement when the fun stripes of colour were revealed!


What I loved most about this `playdate' is that it felt `elaborate' without being expensive or stressful to create. I pulled it off with only two days at hand after our camping holiday, including the sewing of the oh-so-ruffley rainbow table skirt - Mia's favourite thing (and mine!). She already has plans for me to convert it to a dress for her. Might even get one for myself - mmmm, maybe not! I like a little black in my world.




Couldn't resist popping this pic in of Mia - the grumpy face, getting tired and bored of all the picture taking and just wishing everyone would arrive - and her middle sister Ava offering up one of her `don't worry' cuddles.


Happy Birthday gorgeous girl. Keep dreaming big and always dream in colour. xo


Oh and I'll save you commenting about there being no pink in the rainbow, by simply repeating what Mia said when I mentioned that small detail: `But there HAS to be pink in the rainbow'. Girls!

Check back in later for my Rainbows `n' Ruffles style guide and a few tips on recreating the look.

34 comments:

emma @ frog, goose and bear said...

i absolutely love this party! i had a rainbow party for my little girl on her 4th birthday a couple of years ago - if only we hadn't already done it! i would have loved to have given that cake a go! so many great ideas in there. she is one lucky girl to have such a creative mum.

Love, Gigi and Lulu said...

I love it! You are so good. I especially love the bucket of golden coins and your ruffle table skirt. Brilliant! Prue x

Amanda said...

Oh wow! This 'un-party' looks unbelievable!! Love the rainbow theme and I am in awe of the fabulous cake with all those colourful layers!! The table skirt looks wonderful too. Your daughter must have been so happy with the party you put together for her x

Style Me Gorgeous said...

OMG..this is fabulous !! talk about eye candy..love it..the cake is SENSATIONAL ! (was is hard to do ?). Its so great to see my colour-in pages being used :-)

bebybo said...

It´s a fabulous party!!! These cake is perfect
congratulation for being a creative mum

Sharnel said...

Oh I love the ruffle tablecloth!!! I wish i could sew!!!

SAMBELLINA said...

I cant believe this is an "un-party" ..... How bright, fun and colourful. Fantastic !! I love how the cake created intrigue and suspense - I can only imagine the squeals. Wonderful to spot our spotty partyware dots in action too xx

Setting the Mood said...

This is just fun!! It makes me smile to look at the dessert table!! Great job!

Lisa said...

Cute!!

testing 1 said...

Absolutely beautiful! I too, wish I could sew...became a new follower and can't wait to see what you come up with next. May I share with my readers?

Ashley said...

Love the rainboots! Such a cute idea!

Shelley @ Divine Party Concepts said...

Love this and all of the great colors!

Unknown said...

love it! Those ruffles are my fav!

Kim @ http://frostmeblog.blogspot.com
party inspiration

Brittany Schwaigert said...

That tablecloth is perfection!

Suzanna ~ Mon Tresor said...

just gorgeous! i love it!

Kim - The TomKat Studio said...

I'm in LOVE with the ruffled tablecloth & the cake! I just designed custom rainbow items for a client earlier this week! I predict this theme is going to be very popular! Fabulous job!

staci @ lizard n ladybug said...

It all looks FAB!

jo anne said...

april showers bring may flowers!! this is so precious! good job ladies!
www.ohgoodiedesigns.com

heather said...

I'd love to know how to make the ribbon wands and the source of the ribbon on the favor boxes.
GREAT party
my daughter's rainbow/color party is coming up in May so I LOVED seeing this :)

Unknown said...

This looks great! What a fabulous theme and execution! :)

Anonymous said...

We're having a rainbow party too! I MUST have that tablecloth...
I can sew, but I was wondering if you post specifics about yardage, etc.

You're so talented~
Maegan

Susan @ Oh My! Creative said...

Wow, what a great party. I love it!.

I just wanted to let you know I featured your Lala party on my blog and my Party Sharing web site (party trends). Would love it if you would post it (and this Rainbow party) at www.crashthisparty.com

Party inspiration.

Thanks,
Susan
http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/

ringmaster said...

this is great we just had a rainbow party last weekend and i wish i would have done a ruffle tablecloth like that one!!!

http://lifeinathreeringcircus.blogspot.com/2010/04/miss-ps-rainbow-birthday-party.html

Alannah Rose said...

gorgeous gorgeous! look at that table cloth you clever girl! you can come and un party at my place any day! x
(melbourne trip?) :)

alix said...

This is so completely cute!!!! My little boy Wolfie just turn 6 (alas, his party was rained out, so we're post-poning it). So many clever touches. We just featured a rainbow party as well (although I can't take a lick of credit for it...it was my friend Heather's creativity behind it all).

http://www.modernkiddo.com/?p=1537

This is such a lovely site...I'm so glad I found you. Thanks for sharing this fun party!

Preppy Pink Crocodile said...

What a fabulous party idea!! I LOVE the table skirt!!

Vicky said...

What a sweet and fun party! Hooray indeed...

Christina@pluffmuddstudio said...

The tablecloth is precious! All the vibrant colors are adorable!!!

Amber Filkins said...

I was wondering if you could tell me where you got the polka dot plates & cups? I've been looking everywhere for those exact same plates. I can't remember where I saw them!

Thanks!

Amber

Ashlee Marie said...

I just LOVED your table skirt, of course everyone did. I made my own version of it, with vinyl, for my daughters birthday! Thanks for the beautiful inspiration!
http://www.imtopsyturvy.com/2010/06/rainbow-birthday-party-ruffled.html

feather nester said...

Do you have any tips on how to approach making that table skirt? It's GORGEOUS! My daughter has an upcoming rainbow-themed party and I'd love some guidance on how to replicate this!

Giggleberry (Amy) said...

LOVE this - google keeps sending me your way at the moment as I am also planning a rainbow party (with a twist) for Miss (turning) 3 in Nov... It's such a fun and happy party to plan!
LOVE the pot of gold on the table too - clever!

Anonymous said...

gorgeous tablecloth! i am hoping to make a similar one for a round table and wondered if you have any tips and/or guidelines to help! thanks!!
dana
dssnyder@gmail.com

Sari Asenith said...

Could you tell me where you got the rainbow table cover? Or did you make it? If so could you give me some tips??

THanks! Sari

SariAsenith@gmail.com